The Lagos State government has directed the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) to halt the proposed tariff hike on Lekki-Epe Expressway and Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge.
In a statement issued on Friday by Steve Ayorinde, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, the state government said it had directed the company to put the decision “on hold” as the necessary consultations with stakeholders are yet to be concluded.
The statement read:
The government’s decision to halt the proposed hike came at a time when thousands of Lagosians commenced a process of signing an online petition to protest the plan.
In the picture (above), the tariff, which was increased by between 20 and 90 per cent, had been billed to become effective on November 8.
However, the online petition, initiated by Ngozi Ihedigbo, said the LCC, the operator of the toll plazas, imposed the “increment on us with absolutely no explanations.”
It was gathered that as at 9 p.m. on Friday, more than 5,000 persons have signed the petition, less than 12 hours after it was uploaded on online portal, CitizenGO.